Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Puppy Surprise

Mr. Wonderful got a dog this past weekend. He is a 26 year old male living by himself, who does triathlons and played lacrosse in college. For a man like this, you would expect some big tough dog like a German Shepherd or something that at least would be able to hold its own in a fight.

But no, what does Mr. Wonderful get? A Yorkie. A two month old Yorkie boy puppy. Those dogs are supposed to be purse puppies.

Well I had my doubts about this little thing, obviously. But I got to meet the little fur ball (literally, that's all he is) last night, and he is precious. To watch the puppy and Mr. Wonderful interact was a million times cuter than how weird and awkward I thought it was going to be. We were curled up on the couch watching one of our TV shows last night, and the little one fell asleep on Mr. Wonderful's chest.

But then all of the cuteness was stripped away when the poor thing whined all night. I am such a light sleeper, so it was brutal to hear the poor thing whimpering in his kennel area in the kitchen. Mr. Wonderful and I were spooned up and he tried to help me cover my ears so I could fall asleep. It didn't really work, but eventually the whining stopped and I fell asleep....That is until it started again.

I was just about to get up and go back home and salvage what sleep I could, but realized that it would probably hurt Mr. Wonderful's feelings. So I threw a pillow over my head and tried to fall back asleep. The next time I woke up, I was surprised to hear silence. Then I look over at Mr. Wonderful's side of the bed, and realized he wasn't there.

It seemed Mr. Wonderful had given in and gone to appease the puppy with his presence for a bit. But he never came back to bed.

My alarm goes off super early so I can get up to go home and take my dog out. I throw on my clothes, and go out to the living room where I see Mr. Wonderful asleep on the couch with the puppy asleep on his stomach.

I crouch down to kiss him good morning/goodbye and whisper, "You softie!"
He wakes up and tells me, "No, I came out here to sleep with the puppy so you could get some sleep. I know you're a light sleeper."

I was a little caught off guard by that. He is way too sweet. Whenever I start to doubt him and me, and whether or not he still wants to be a him and me, he completely surprises me. As it turns out, I am kind of glad for the whining puppy. He gave Mr. Wonderful an opportunity to show me that he cares.

No comments: